Wednesday 30 January 2013

The Block With No Name

Whilst blog-hopping I came across this block called Jumping Jack Flash and thought it would be a good one to try and would fit in nicely with my varied BOM Sampler quilt.

Jumping Jack Flash block

I printed out the pdf instructions from the Aurifil site, had a good look at them and decided that I could make the sections using alternative methods.  There is a good method for making four flying geese blocks at once, with no waste, here, so I thought I would give it a try.  I also made use of this tutorial to make eight Half Square Triangles at once, too.  So far so good.  When I came to assemble my units I couldn't get my block to look like this.  I'd obviously done something wrong.

Of course, I'm using different fabrics and colours to the ones listed in the tutorial, and I got confused when I transposed my own fabrics and cut some pieces in the wrong fabric.  Instead of remaking the units I re-arranged my units in a way that would work, and I've come up with this.


Can you see where I went wrong?

Now I have a dilemma.  Is this already a known block, or have I designed a new one?  If you know the answer to this please let me know.

1 comment: