Sunday 3 February 2013

What shall I do with the leftovers?

I made this block today for my 2012 BOM quilt to replace one that I don't like very much.   It's a scrappy version of  'The Road to Tennessee'.


I used this tutorial to make it from Sew Me blog, but I did an extra step so that I would have some usable leftovers.

When I had stitched the small square onto the corner of the large square I stitched another seam the foot's width away towards the corner.

I then cut between the two stitching lines with my rotary cutter.

This left me with two perfect little Half Square Triangles ready to use without any need to match up pieces, and ready to use on another project.


I had 32 little HSTs from making this one block, each 1 1/2" unfinished.  I could make mini pin-wheels and make a little 8" x 4" mug rug

or I could make 4" squares, add some sashing and borders, and make a mini quilt about 12" square.


Hmm, placement could be better, but you get the general idea, don't you?   I'm off now to play with my little HSTs,  so watch this space to see what I come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment