Wednesday 20 February 2013

Starburst and Rose Charmer

Two more blocks are finished for my Combined 2013 BOM quilt.  Actually, I'm not just using BOM blocks, but also other ones I find that I like.  I'm choosing ones that have a star-like quality to them, rather than more modern, graphic type ones.  I'm saving those designs for another quilt, perhaps when I can afford  a more modern looking range of fabrics.  I'm getting a bit low on the Chambray Rose fabrics, but with careful cutting I hope to make at least another three to bring it up to twelve blocks.  With sashings and border that should be a good sized lap quilt.

The first one this week is Starburst by Melissa Corry.  She has a very good tutorial for making it here, but it is sized for 22", 32" or 40" blocks.  I resized it for a 12" block.  I'm really pleased with my colour placement on this one.  The red really explodes out of the star which was the effect I wanted.



The second block I've called Rose Charmer.  My inspiration for this block was Lynn Wilder's block for the Country Charmer Quilt-A-Long that so many bloggers seem to be doing.  Again, I wanted it to be more star-like so I changed the central panels and resized it to 12".



I'm so loving making these starry blocks.  The next one has the fabrics chosen and is waiting to be cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment