First, I emptied each bag and sorted out all the cottons. I had to do the burn test on some bits to make sure they didn't contain any polyester. As most of the stuff had been stored for a long time I then washed, dried and ironed all of it to freshen it up, and also to pre-shrink it. I then had to decide how I wanted to store it. There were some big pieces left over from dressmaking and smaller scraps and it had mostly been cut with scissors and was all in rather odd shapes. I've read a lot of blogs about sorting and cutting scraps and everybody seems to have their own method, so I designed this method to suit me.
Everything was squared up so that each piece had a right-angle on each of the four corners. Anything over 6" was treated as yardage. From the rest I cut strips at 3 1/2" and 2 1/2" wide. They had to be at least 12 1/2" long. Other long strips that were narrower were put in a separate pile and labelled 'strings'. I then cut squares at 5", 3 1/2" and 2 1/2". The final sort was anything larger than 1" was saved for 'crumb' blocks, anything smaller was thrown away. Here is my haul.
This is my 'yardage' drawer.
All the squares. At least 100 5" squares, about the same 31/2" squares and about 200 2 1/2" squares.
These are the strips and strings. Not sure what these will become but I'm sure they'll speak to me one day.
As I mentioned at the start, I have done no machine sewing this month, but I have been spending my evenings in front of the TV hand-quilting my Starry Blocks quilt. I've completed three so far.
It's now October and I've made one Farmer's Wife quilt block today.