Continuing the challenge to use all of the scraps from my Chambray Rose quilt I've made a couple of coasters this week. These are for my computer desk in my dining room, so I will use them every day. I sewed the scraps directly onto a piece of batting, backed them with a scrap of the Toile de Joue duvet cover I used on the Starry Sampler quilt, and bound with some really old spotty dressmaking cotton. They measure 4 1/2 inches square.
I had such a lovely time making these that I thought I would do a bit more crazy piecing and made this block.
I pieced this on paper torn out of the telephone directory. I cut 3 paper strips 2 1/2" x 6 1/2" and stitched directly onto the paper, using stitch length 1.5. I made all 3 at once, using the leader/ender method of feeding in and cutting off at the back to save keep on cutting (and wasting) thread. The paper tore away really easily. I then sewed the 3 strips together to make a 6 1/2" square block. I don't know what I'm going to do with it yet, but I'm going to make a few more as they're such fun to make.
I've made another 9 blocks for my Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt using the gorgeous "Marmalade" by Bonnie and Camille. I am just so loving making these.
# 69 Practical Orchard
#70 Prairie Queen
#71 Puss in the Corner
#73 Rainbow Flowers
#87 Star Gardener
Here are the nine all together.