Tuesday 14 August 2018

Five Blocks for the Splendid Sampler 2

Yes, you read that right.  I have five blocks to share.  I've been away on holiday, a lovely cruise around the western Mediterranean Sea, with my eldest daughter. It was a very relaxing time with a lot of our time spent on the sunbeds, mostly in the shade, just chilling out,  I did take some sewing with me - a bit of embroidery that will be inserted into a patchwork bag.  I've nearly finished the panels and will start on putting the bag together soon.  I've got lots of time resting up at the moment as I've managed to fracture a bit of arthritic bone in the top of my foot.  Rest is required and I have a strappy boot to wear when I go out - no plaster required, thank goodness.  Anyway here are the blocks, one at a time.

Splendid Sampler 2 - Balance by Wenche Wolff Hatling


Love this cute block.  Mine is slightly different from the original design.  I thought his trunk looked empty so added a kite. Also my elephant is actually balanced on the tub whereas the original has him floating above it for some reason.  I chose the checked fabric because it reminded me of Elmer the Elephant and I chose to do separate plain ears instead of embroidered ones.  I used fusible applique and sewed it onto the backing by machine, using a blanket stitch.  The background is yellow but doesn't show up well in the photo.

Time to make: 2 1/2 hours  No. of pieces: 6

Splendid Sampler 2 - Point Taken by Susan Ache



The title of this one relates to the fact that the star points are chopped off, something we try not to do when sewing stars. It took me ages to choose just the right fabrics for this one and I'm pleased with my selection..  My little added extra is the line of sttiching around the central squares.  I thought the block looked naked without it.

Time to make: 3 1/2 hours  No. of pieces: 32

Splendid Sampler 2 - Rose and Dot by Lori Kennedy


This was a fairly simple block to put together. I used fusible applique and applied it to the backing by machine using a small blanket stitch. The extra purple and green hand stitching is my own addition to the design.

Time to make: 2 1/2 hours  No. of pieces: 7

Splendid Sampler 2 - My Flock by Brenda Ratliff


I decided to paper piece the central block of this one instead of the more traditional way of making flying geese.  I didn't want to risk stitching off those lovely sharp points or sewing them together wonky which is so easy to do.  My head was very worried about the block being off centre as I do like symmetry but I went with it this time.  But it looked wrong.  That right hand space looked empty and was just crying out to be filled, so I added a simple scroll in hand stitching.  Much more pleasing to my eye now.

Time to make: 2 1/2 hours  No. of pieces: 14

Splendid Sampler 2 - Flowering Tree by Amy Friend


This block was paper-pieced.  I'm in two minds about paper piecing.  It does use up a lot of fabric but it does enable you to make lovely sharp, accurate points which would be almost impossible in normal piecing. As usual, the rebel in me had to add something to the original design and I've added a bit of stitching to round off the sharp angles.  I wish I'd chosen a green fabric for the bottom two triangles as it would then look like a tree on the grass with sky behind it, but I've only just seen that now it's in front of me on the screen. 

Time to make: 3 1/2 hours  No. of pieces: 20

That's all for now.  I'm looking forward to Thursday to see what the new block will be.  If there's no stitching on it you can bet that I'll find a way of adding some.







No comments:

Post a Comment